Wednesday, February 6, 2008

a BIG sock.

I know another late post, but I'm trying to play catch up here. Give me a break! -PJ

After knitting FOR other people. I decided it was time for me to knit something for myslef. I asked my fiancee what I could knit for myself.

"You should knit me a sweater," she said.
"What?! I just knit you a beautiful scarf!"
"Well, you could make a matching hat?" she smiled.

I rolled my eyes and thought about it some more. A bright light dinged and i shouted "A SOCK!"

"A sock?" she questioned me like I was retarded.
"Yes a sock? Why not?!"
"What are you going to do with 'A' sock?" she replied back with a sarcastic look on her face and a hard emphasis on "A"
"Fuck you! You know what I mean!" I stuck my middle finger up in realization that I completely set my self up for that one, while she laughed and chuckled in victory.

the BIG sock



Red Heart - Sport Weight - 100% Acrylic - Camouflage: No dye lot

I was able to find a lot of resources online about knitting socks, but most of them were for using double pointed needles. I actually ended up figuring it all out using 2 circular needles. I found a neat pattern in one of my books that I decided to follow. Of course with some videos from youTube, I was able to get through the heal turns and the gusset.

This project was knit with 2 size 7 circular needles. I didn't bother guaging since I was more concerned about learning the technique than the end product. The yarn I used was definitely not a sock yarn. Instead of using a fingering yarn, I went with the yarn Katie picked out - Camouflage. Not only was it NOT soft, but it was 100% Acrylic. The sock of course ended up being really enormous, hence the name.


T
hroughout the project I often put the sock on to sample it, and decided that instead of using it as a 'military' themed christmas stocking, it would be a sock slipper. I still wear it, but because it's so big, it falls off sometimes when I walk around.

I was very excited after I finished my first sock, but once I cast it off - I had another one to do . Next time, I'm going to learn the knit 2 socks together technique. That will definitely make it even more fun. The socks took about a week to finish working on it on and off. After I finished, I threw it in the laundry to hopefully shrink it, but instead it just got a little soft - which was still a win.

Next time, I'm most definitely GAUGING!

No comments: